Publications

- January 1, 2017: Vol. 9, Number 1

To read this full article you need to be subscribed to Institutional Real Estate Asia Pacific

Cindat, Union Life JV in US$930m US senior housing deal

by Andrea Waitrovich

Beijing-based Cindat Capital Management and China’s US$13 billion Union Life Insurance Co have formed a joint venture to invest US$930 million in a real estate portfolio of senior housing and care facilities held by Welltower, a US-based healthcare REIT.

The Welltower portfolio comprises 11 senior housing properties master leased to Brookdale Senior Living and 28 long-term/post–acute care facilities master leased to Genesis Healthcare. Cindat and Union Life will own a 75 percent interest in the portfolio, while Welltower will retain the remaining 25 percent interest. The transaction was expected to close by year-end 2016.

“With ageing demographics and US healthcare trends driving the need for innovative healthcare infrastructure, we believe the sector represents an attractive long-term investment opportunity,” said Greg Peng, CEO at Cindat Capital Management, representing Cindat and Union Life, in a statement.

Although the deal represents Cindat’s firs

Glossary, videos, podcasts, research in the Resource Center

Forgot your username or password?

Close your account?

Your account will be closed and all data will be permanently deleted and cannot be recovered. Are you sure?

We respect your privacy! Please give consent for processing data as described in our Privacy Policy